[oe] OpenEmbedded Core - Ready for extended users

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue May 17 19:49:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 11:25 +0200, Petr Štetiar wrote:
> Anders Darander <anders.darander at gmail.com> [2011-05-17 09:04:35]:
>
> > Yes, from that point, Dbus was not the optimal example, I agree...
> >
> > Though, that was only one example of a package that has either runtime
> > or only build-time dependencies on X in some form or another. Earlier,
> > in the 2011.03-releases, we had systemd depending on gtk+, which has
> > been removed in the lates updates. Thats just another example.
>
> Don't worry, you're not alone in that feeling, actually I think, that we're
> quite a large group fighting with this :-) One day the image has 1700 tasks,
> after one rebase within a week timespan it grows almost to 3000, don't mention
> bluetooth and similar stuff etc. Well, I'm also looking forward to see, how it
> will change with oe-core.

These are issues we need to address I think everyone agrees on that.
What we do need is some overall architectural way to handle it though
rather and doing it adhoc on a case by case basis. There has been some
discussion on the OE-Core list about it but I don't think we've reached
any conclusion.

Out of interesting are there any new proposals on how to handle this?
I'm interested in proposals that are thought through to details like how
distros handle differences and being able to identify which
configurations are used when presented with packages...

Cheers,

Richard