[oe] forcing dependency on genext2fs-native

Peter Bigot bigotp at acm.org
Tue Nov 8 20:00:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Tom Rini <tom.rini at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Peter Bigot <bigotp at acm.org> wrote:
>> I've added a DEPENDS += "genext2fs-native" for a recipe in meta-ti,
>> but the corresponding package is not getting built.  bitbake -DDD
>> says:
>>
>> DEBUG: Added dependency genext2fs-native for
>> /prj/oe/angstrom/sources/meta-ti/recipes-misc/images/cloud9-gfx-image.bb
>> DEBUG: providers for genext2fs-native are: ['genext2fs-native']
>> DEBUG: sorted providers for genext2fs-native are:
>> ['virtual:native:/prj/oe/angstrom/sources/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/genext2fs/genext2fs_1.4.1.bb']
>> DEBUG: adding virtual:native:/prj/oe/angstrom/sources/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/genext2fs/genext2fs_1.4.1.bb
>> to satisfy genext2fs-native
>>
>> I'm guessing the "virtual:native:" means somebody thinks genext2fs
>> should already be installed on the host.  It's not available on
>> Fedora, so this decision is wrong.  I haven't been able to figure out
>> what's causing this to happen.
>
> No, it means that the "virtual:native" (coming from BBCLASSEXTEND in
> the recipe file) is being selected to provide "genext2fs-native"
> (since in many cases we don't have a separate -native recipe, we just
> use BBCLASSEXTEND).  What's probably happening is that you need
> genext2fs to exist for a specific task and just "DEPENDS +=
> genext2fs-native" really means "make do_configure depend on
> genext2fs-native being in the sysroot".  Did you modify
> cloud9-gfx-image?  It should already get the DEPENDS right for
> populating the image.

The build had failed in meta-ti/classes/sdcard_image.bbclass which
used genext2fs to build an sdimg image.

I had added DEPENDS += "genext2fs-native" to
meta-ti/recipes-misc/images/ti-hw-bringup-image.bb since it was what
inherited sdcard_image.

On further investigation cued by your response, it seems that the
correct change is instead to add:

IMAGE_DEPENDS_sdimg = "genext2fs-native"

analogously to what's done for the other image types.  With that the
bitbake of cloud9-gfx-image does the right thing.

Thanks.

Peter