[oe] Plans for OE classic future

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Thu Nov 24 09:12:11 UTC 2011

Op 23-11-11 23:42, Andreas Oberritter schreef:
> On 23.11.2011 23:25, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
>> <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> classic read only.
>>>
>>> I'd like to suggest leaving it open for those of us that are still
>>> using it.
>>
>> 2011.03-maintenance branch is maintained and that would be place to
>> go.
>>

>>> For instance I have still products that are based on OE classic. If
>>> there is a problem that is of a generic nature, I'm more than happy
>>> to submit patches so others in the same situation can benefit from
>>> it. (actually I have one pending with a new version of netsnmp; the
>>> current recipe does not build with uclibc, whereas the latest version
>>> of netsnmp does; found/fixed this today, but haven't had time to make
>>> a commit)
>>>
>>> And if there is no interest any more it'll eventually die. But as of
>>> now I do see people working on/with it (see the commit log).
>>
>> those fixes are intended for 2011.03-maintenance which go into master
>> and then get cherry-picked
>
> So master needs to stay open in order to get patches there first before
> being cherry-picked into 2011.03-maintenance, right?

That has been stated multiple times before: No, OE-classic is not the only
way patches can flow into 2011.03-maintenance. It's even listed in the damn
wiki: http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/2011.03-maintenance

OE .dev will go read-only soon, If you need an OE-classic setup,
2011.03-maintenance is there for you.