[oe] Plans for OE classic future

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Thu Nov 24 11:37:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 09:24, Frans Meulenbroeks <
fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/11/24 Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br>
>
> > On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:23, Hauser, Wolfgang (external) <
> > Wolfgang.Hauser.external at cassidian.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I would vote for an open classic master for bugfixing too, our project
> > > based on 2011.03-maintenance goes into the final phase and to switch to
> > > oe-core, the budged is not available jet.
> > >

> > I also believe oe-classic master ought to be read-only as soon as
> possible;
> > I understand that people are using it but the soonner we make it
> read-only,
> > sooner people will move to oe-core otherwise people will keep starting
> new
> > project on it and it will never die.
> >
> People like Wolfgang, Mats and me are working on products that are at the
> moment not in a position to move to oe-core.
> Why would you want to deprive people in that situation from having a spot
> (under the openembedded umbrella) under which they can share things.
> Isn't sharing and cooperating what openembedded is all about ???

This is not the point. Those that are bugfixes will and can be put into the
maintainence branch but new features I think ought to be sent to oe-core
and not to classic. People can always use and make their trees public
(github comes to my mind) but master keeping receiving patches commited and
new things will make it a unkillable project and even worse people will
keep starting new projects above it.

> I understand you want people to move to oe-core, but really this should be
> at the discretion of the users, and we should not give those who can not do
> so right now a hard time.
>
> Over time people will move to oe-core, as it will definitely be better
> supported, have newer recipes etc. Actually for my next product I will
> probably move over, but for now, with a release being imminent, moving is
> not an option for me, and I consider having a place to share and exchange
> bug fixes as useful.

Sure I fully agree and I also have projects running on oe-classic but the
point here is that it will be kept running on the maintainence branch and
thus we keep our branch above it and put fixes or improvements above it;
however all new projects are now being done above oe-core to avoid all this
hassle later.

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br