[oe] Plans for OE classic future

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:24:59 UTC 2011

2011/11/24 Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br>

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:23, Hauser, Wolfgang (external) <
> Wolfgang.Hauser.external at cassidian.com> wrote:
>
> > I would vote for an open classic master for bugfixing too, our project
> > based on 2011.03-maintenance goes into the final phase and to switch to
> > oe-core, the budged is not available jet.
> >

> I also believe oe-classic master ought to be read-only as soon as possible;
> I understand that people are using it but the soonner we make it read-only,
> sooner people will move to oe-core otherwise people will keep starting new
> project on it and it will never die.
>
> People like Wolfgang, Mats and me are working on products that are at the
moment not in a position to move to oe-core.
Why would you want to deprive people in that situation from having a spot
(under the openembedded umbrella) under which they can share things.
Isn't sharing and cooperating what openembedded is all about ???

I understand you want people to move to oe-core, but really this should be
at the discretion of the users, and we should not give those who can not do
so right now a hard time.

Over time people will move to oe-core, as it will definitely be better
supported, have newer recipes etc. Actually for my next product I will
probably move over, but for now, with a release being imminent, moving is
not an option for me, and I consider having a place to share and exchange
bug fixes as useful.

My two cents.
Frans.