[oe] Documentation problems

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 27 18:38:39 UTC 2011

Am Sonntag, den 27.11.2011, 17:06 +0000 schrieb Paul Eggleton:
> On Sunday 27 November 2011 17:58:00 Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> > What is the problem with being it a wiki (probably with authorized users to
> > avoid spam).
> >
> > I'd say let everyone who wants to contribute.
> > If someone makes a mistake it can easily be corrected and/or reverted, and
> > if someone messes things up on purpose and/or creates more bad than good
> > such a (non)contributor can be banned.
> >
> > Disadvantage of a pull model is:
> > - more difficult to make changes (e.g. if I see a typo in a wiki and I have
> > write permission, I'll fix it; however if it invokes checking out a file,
> > make the edit, commit it, mail a pull request, most likely I'll decide it
> > is not worth the effort
> > - more administrative workload (that is probably better spent on actually
> > doing things).
> > - It sends out a message of distrust. Not really a good way to create
> > involvement.
> >
> > One might feel that it improves quality; then again also in a wiki one can
> > review and improve (or revert) changes.
> >
> > As far as I see it we are all adults (at least I think so) all interested
> > in improving OE so no unnecessary barriers should be raised.
> >
> > Frans.
> >
> > PS: it is quite possible to backup a wiki (and I hope this is done at
> > regular intervals with our wiki). Also all edits are recorded so they can
> > always be tracked back and (if needed) undone.
>
> I agree with all of this. We shouldn't be putting more barriers up to
> contributing to the documentation - there are already enough.

Only Koen brought up the idea of the pull model. By itself, ikiwiki also
allows Web edits [1].

Additionally, you have not addressed the point that reality shows, that
not a lot of people write documentation and use it. The best way to
“enforce” this is to add documentation with the corresponding change.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://ikiwiki.info/
    (just click on edit)