[oe] Documentation problems

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sun Nov 27 18:56:01 UTC 2011

On Sunday 27 November 2011 19:38:39 Paul Menzel wrote:
> Only Koen brought up the idea of the pull model. By itself, ikiwiki also
> allows Web edits [1].

Yes but what benefit do we get by changing the system? Only that the backend
changes to git? Given that MediaWiki is familiar to many (thanks to Wikipedia)
I would be hesitant to replace it with anything less widely understood.

> Additionally, you have not addressed the point that reality shows, that
> not a lot of people write documentation and use it. The best way to
> “enforce” this is to add documentation with the corresponding change.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. If you're suggesting that we
will be able to force people to write changes for the documentation together
with their changes to the code, I think there are two problems with this:
  (1) it assumes that we already have complete documentation for the current
state of the code;
  (2) given that writing meaningful commit messages is a challenge for many
contributors, you're going to have a very difficult time getting people to write
documentation for their changes as well.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton