[oe] Documentation problems

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:17:03 UTC 2011

Hi Frans,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course I also do not want to write faulty documentation; then again I
> also hate wasting my time, so I think I wouldn't even start if there was a
> chance that my contribution might be rejected because the pull master does
> not like my style or feels there are grammar errors or so.

I consider someone reviewing my patches a good thing. I think it makes
me learn things
if there is feedback on the patches, I include the feedback and
resubmit the patch and thereby improve it

> (note that I am not a native english speaker so this is not too unlikely;

neither am I.

> also if there are language errors in a contributed piece of documentation
> on a wiki other people more proficient in english could correct those
> easier and better than I ever can),

right now there is no review process for wiki. So if I write a
document it does not get notified
to people and chances of someone really stumbling into this new piece
are new users who are studying
that document and I think reviewing it beforehand is a good thing
since I might have written it wrong
besides grammar errors. I think wrong documentation is worse than no
documentation.

> For me this raises the bar to contribute (not that I have contributed much
> to our documentation...)
>
> The issue with documentation
> - everybody wants documentation
> - hardly anyone wants to write documentation
> - make it hard to write documentation and you'll end up with no
> documentation.
>
> BTW somewhere in the thread also the license issue was raised.
> I'd suggest a form of creative commons with attribution clause.

This should be fixed yes.