[oe] Creating Rootfs images without packages

mgundes mgcse at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:10:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> On 2011-10-12 06:22, mgundes wrote:
>
>>    Hi,
>>
>>    I think one of the big issue with OE is build time. It does everything
>> for you, so that it takes too much times. I want to minimize build time
>> and
>> realized that OE creates ipkgs for almost every package. If there is a way
>>

> Not true.  Only the packages needed to complete your image will be built.
>
> That said, there are some packages which are built (the first time only)
> that
> comprise the build environment and tool chain which takes a lot of time,
> but
> this is only the first time through.

What image & target are you building for and what packages are built that
> you
> don't think needed to be built?

     In my tmp/work directroy there are 868 ipk packages which was created
by OE:

$ find -iname *.ipk | wc -l
868

     I use arm based pc7302 chipset and vendor supplied machine and distro
configuration. I use standard filesystem with packages like below in my
rootfs image.

IMAGE_INSTALL +=
"base-files base-files-doc  base-passwd  busybox  bash  mtd-utils
dropbear  ethtool  firmwareupdate  strace  oprofile  kernel-modules
memview
\

  modutils-initscripts modutils pareadback picomon2 picoifapp picofuse ubootenv"

     Of course every needed packages should be built and located into rootfs
filesystem directory.

     "ipk" and "deb" files are used to install target system, right? I mean
If I don't need ipkgs as a developer, it would be nice if there is a way to
prevent ipkg creation steps. As far as I know, OE creates ipk from built
package's files and then use created ipks to create rootfs directory; then
creates image from rootfs directory. I am asking that what about directly
creating a rootfs directory and install built package files to rootfs after
compilation in install tasks. By this way there is no need to create ipkgs?
Am I right?

>  to prevent creation of ipkgs it would be really good for me. In my
>> opinion,
>> it would be fine for other people too since usually rootfs directory is
>> enough and ipkgs are not frequently used directly by developers.
>>
>>    I have asked in freenode oe room but friends said there no way to do
>> that
>> in OE system. If there is no way to do that in current OE, do you plan to
>> add as a feature?
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>
>> Regards
>>

> --
> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

Thanks,
Regards,
--
MahmutG