[oe] Creating Rootfs images without packages

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Oct 13 09:26:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 15:22 +0300, mgundes wrote:
>    I think one of the big issue with OE is build time. It does everything
> for you, so that it takes too much times. I want to minimize build time and
> realized that OE creates ipkgs for almost every package. If there is a way
> to prevent creation of ipkgs it would be really good for me. In my opinion,
> it would be fine for other people too since usually rootfs directory is
> enough and ipkgs are not frequently used directly by developers.

If you want to eliminate ipk specifically then there is no problem: you
can select package_rpm or package_tar or package_deb instead.

If you want to eliminate the whole packaging step then this is rather
more tricky and it's not really obvious that this would buy much.  Do
you have a proposal for how rootfs construction could be done in that
case?

p.