[oe] Creating Rootfs images without packages

mgundes mgcse at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:07:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 15:22 +0300, mgundes wrote:
> >    I think one of the big issue with OE is build time. It does everything
> > for you, so that it takes too much times. I want to minimize build time
> and
> > realized that OE creates ipkgs for almost every package. If there is a
> way
> > to prevent creation of ipkgs it would be really good for me. In my
> opinion,
> > it would be fine for other people too since usually rootfs directory is
> > enough and ipkgs are not frequently used directly by developers.
>
> If you want to eliminate ipk specifically then there is no problem: you
> can select package_rpm or package_tar or package_deb instead.
>
> If you want to eliminate the whole packaging step then this is rather
> more tricky and it's not really obvious that this would buy much.  Do
> you have a proposal for how rootfs construction could be done in that
> case?
>
> p.

      Hi Phil,

      I meant eliminating whole packages.

      Sometimes you think that it should be a better way even if you don't
know the way. I am not expert on OE and unfortunately I don't have any
proposal. I thought there may be or there should be a way to do but if
founders and experts don't agree or say current is the best way to go, then
everything is ok. May be later, when I learn OE good enough and if I figure
out a way I surely share with OE team :)

MahmutG