[oe] RFC: Support for R/W git in bitbake

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Wed Apr 18 06:24:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:34:27 +0200
Ulf Samuelsson <openembedded at emagii.com> wrote:

> On 2012-04-18 01:07, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 April 2012 00:35:29 Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> >> Today bitbake supports read only git access in recipes.
> >> For various reasons, I would like to be able to do recipes
> >> which would check out in a read/write mode.
> > Could you elaborate on "various reasons"?
> >
> > Would the new externalsrc bbclass be useful in your case?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paul
> >

> 1. If I am busy working on an application, then it simplifies the
> development process.
>      I can modify the code in the tree and push.
>      This is mainly for kernel development.

for that you can pass "protocol=file" to make the git fetcher use the
"file" transport, see

http://ao2.it/en/blog/2010/05/27/neat-compilerun-cycle-git-and-openembedded

basically, in the .bb recipe, you can fetch from a local clone where
you do your normal work.

> 2. If I work on a prerelease of some S/W drivers/Applications under NDA,
>      then I cannot make that code publicly available
>      but I still want to put  that on my Internet accessible git server.
>      Typicailly this is before the release of a new chip and info about
> the chip should not be
>      made public before the chip is released.
>
> 3.  I want to be able to ship something similar to the Angstrom setup
> scripts
>       to someone else, and have them build an image, but it should not
> be available
>       to anyone not accepted (without public key at the git server).

maybe you can pass "protocol=ssh" as well to the git fetcher as well,
but I haven't tried that, when you say "R/W mode" you are basically
saying "ssh transport" for git, right? Let us know if that works.

> There are other uses for such a functionality, but those are my
> immediate needs.
>
> As you see, this is mostly for development.
> Once the code is released, then the recipe would be changed to the
> normal git access.
>
> Didn't know anything about the externalsrc bbclass, but after checking,
> I would say no.
> It won't do the two things above. I do see the use of it though.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite