[oe] RFC: Support for R/W git in bitbake

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 07:25:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:24, Antonio Ospite <ospite at studenti.unina.it> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:34:27 +0200
> Ulf Samuelsson <openembedded at emagii.com> wrote:

>> > Could you elaborate on "various reasons"?
>> >
>> > Would the new externalsrc bbclass be useful in your case?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Paul
>> >

>> 1. If I am busy working on an application, then it simplifies the
>> development process.
>>      I can modify the code in the tree and push.
>>      This is mainly for kernel development.
>>

> for that you can pass "protocol=file" to make the git fetcher use the
> "file" transport, see
>
> http://ao2.it/en/blog/2010/05/27/neat-compilerun-cycle-git-and-openembedded
>
> basically, in the .bb recipe, you can fetch from a local clone where
> you do your normal work.
>
>> 2. If I work on a prerelease of some S/W drivers/Applications under NDA,
>>      then I cannot make that code publicly available
>>      but I still want to put  that on my Internet accessible git server.
>>      Typicailly this is before the release of a new chip and info about
>> the chip should not be
>>      made public before the chip is released.
>>
>> 3.  I want to be able to ship something similar to the Angstrom setup
>> scripts
>>       to someone else, and have them build an image, but it should not
>> be available
>>       to anyone not accepted (without public key at the git server).
>>

> maybe you can pass "protocol=ssh" as well to the git fetcher as well,
> but I haven't tried that, when you say "R/W mode" you are basically
> saying "ssh transport" for git, right? Let us know if that works.

Ulf, any comments on Antonios ideas?

I've just checked our own git repos and recipes; we're using SRC_URI's like:
SRC_URI = "git://gitosis@server-url/linux;protocol=ssh "
Then it is possible to work in that git clone as usual. Though, I've
to mention that this is using oe-core, so there might be some
differences in fetchers etc.

/Anders