[oe] Best practise using .bbappend

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 10:53:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to create a layer, overriding certain defaults with use of
.bbappends.

e.g. Changing a Grub configuration with a
meta-foo/recipes-bsp/grub/grub_1.99.bbappend

I'm wondering what happens when somebody updates the grub recipe in meta
to a
new version, e.g. 2.00 and I then do a git pull?

As I understand it the environment will automatically pick up the new
recipe, and
presumably my .bbappend to 1.99 will no longer be pulled in?

Should I be setting a PREFERRED_VERSION_bar somewhere, say in the conf
for my
new layer, on any recipe that I add a .bbppends to, or what's best
practise for dealing
with this?

Thanks,

Alex