[oe] [meta-oe] net-snmp config help

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 08:25:21 UTC 2012

On 02/07/12 16:06, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> On 02/07/12 15:45, Jack Mitchell wrote:
>> Ok, so I managed to get net-snmp compiling however I now have an
>> issue where the configure stage is picking up libpci and using that
>> to configure net-snmp to look for pci devices on startup which my
>> beaglebone doesn't have
>>
>>    root at beaglebone:~# snmpd
>>    pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
>>    pcilib: Cannot find any working access method.
>>    root at beaglebone:~#
>>
>> Off I went and found a solution[1] which states that I should force
>> the PCI_* defines to off *after* the configuration stage. So I go
>> into my work directory and alter includes/net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h:
>>
>>    /* define if you have pci_lookup_name() */
>>    #undef HAVE_PCI_LOOKUP_NAME
>>
>>    /* Define to 1 if you have the <pci/pci.h> header file. */
>>    #undef HAVE_PCI_PCI_H
>>
>> Then compile with:
>>
>>     bitbake net-snmp -c compile -f
>>
>> Then
>>
>>     bitbake core-image-minimal
>>
>> Which does net-snmp do_install and then builds the rootfs. However
>> this makes no difference and it still fails with the same error
>> message on start. Is my work flow for this wrong, or is it
>> re-configuring, I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do now?
>>
>> I suppose the correct procedure would be to find out why pcilibs is
>> being detected and configured, then fix that. Could anyone point me
>> in the right direction?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jack.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9470494/snmpd-cannot-open-proc-bus-pci
>>

> It seems that udev is forcing PCI down every ones throats, is this
> necessary, can it be built without? There seems to be a lot of extra
> configuration in there to make it happen...
>
> Onward ho!

As a stop gap till I manage to get to the bottom of this properly, doing:

     bitbake core-image-minimal

to get the initial image and everything built properly

     bitbake -c cleansstate pciutils

To remove pci.h from the sysroot

     bitbake -c cleansstate net-snmp

to remove the net-snmp with pci config enabled

     bitbake net-snmp

to rebuild net-snmp without pci config enabled (due to it not finding pci.h)

     bitbake core-image-minimal

pciutils gets rebuilt, net-snmp stays configured without pci and
everybody is happy (apart from the deterministic build goddess).

Regards,

--

   Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer