[oe] Package selection

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Jun 18 18:26:24 UTC 2012

On 6/18/12 11:57 AM, Dallas Clement wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, I am a newb to OE / BitBake.  I've been building
> custom embedded rootfs images the old fashioned way by hand for a long
> time.
>
> Recently I've been experimenting with OE / BitBake to determine if it
> is suitable for my needs.  I want to be able to select exactly which
> packages are included in my custom distro.  I tried to build the
> "helloworld" example, and it seemed to download and build gobs of
> packages, when all I wanted was the most rudimentary rootfs.  In fact,
> for starters I'd like to build a rootfs that simply consists of a
> statically built busybox and have the init process point to the ash
> shell.  Is this even possible with OE?  Once I gain confidence with
> something simple like this, I'd like to continue refining things by
> adding packages that I select.
>
> Lastly, it is possible to avoid the repeated fetching of source
> packages?  In other words, can the source URI's point to packages in a
> local file system repository?

if you use 'hob' you can get a graphical environment and an easy way to select
exactly what you want on the target rootfs.  Don't be surprised though if it
builds more then you think it should, as dependency resolution is complete
during the build process.. the image generation uses a package specific
resolution to get the smallest set for your image based on your requirements.

--Mark