[oe] Package selection

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 18:31:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Dallas Clement
<dallas.a.clement at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, I am a newb to OE / BitBake.  I've been building
> custom embedded rootfs images the old fashioned way by hand for a long
> time.
>
> Recently I've been experimenting with OE / BitBake to determine if it
> is suitable for my needs.  I want to be able to select exactly which
> packages are included in my custom distro.  I tried to build the
> "helloworld" example, and it seemed to download and build gobs of
> packages, when all I wanted was the most rudimentary rootfs.  In fact,
> for starters I'd like to build a rootfs that simply consists of a
> statically built busybox and have the init process point to the ash
> shell.  Is this even possible with OE?  Once I gain confidence with
> something simple like this, I'd like to continue refining things by
> adding packages that I select.

Depending on if you are using OE-Core or classic OE say you are using OE-Core
then you can use core-image-minimal target that will generate minimal packages
into image thats required to boot.

in classical OE there was base-image, micro-image that you could use
I dont think there is exact image you want but then its not that hard
to create one

> Lastly, it is possible to avoid the repeated fetching of source
> packages?  In other words, can the source URI's point to packages in a
> local file system repository?

fetch operation should happen first time thereafter it should always
look in your
DL_DIR before it goes out and fetches stuff