[oe] [toolchain-layer][pull-request] Remove old toolchain recipes

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:24:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Thilo Fromm <fromm at dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
> Hello *.*,
>
>> Khem Raj (3):
>>      eglibc-2.12: Remove
>>      binutils-2.20: Remove
>>      gcc-4.5: Remove
>
> Removing gcc-4.5 would kill Texas Instruments DaVinci (dm814x, dm816x)
> support. You only get a heavily patched 2.6.37 kernel from TI for
> these (linux-ti81xx-psp_2.6.37). Unfortunately gcc >= 4.6 is unable to
> build a kernel which boots for these platforms. After
>
> Uncompressing linux ... booting the kernel
>
> there is silence. We can reproduce this reliably on a ti8148-evm
> development board. My best guess is it's because of an ancient kernel
> being compiled with a very recent GCC.
>
> Regards,
> Thilo

if gcc-4.6 was from meta-toolchain (including linaro patch
toolchain-layer/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-4.6/linaro/gcc-4.6-linaro-r106827.patch)
then you need to pass -mno-unaligned-access in your kernel Makefile
like this commit does:
http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=78ffc81db8911acdabd026ad3fdefa20b4e34e52

be aware that without this patch -mno-unaligned-access is not valid
option for gcc (older than 4.7).

Cheers.