[oe] [toolchain-layer][pull-request] Remove old toolchain recipes

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fri May 18 07:29:40 UTC 2012

Hello Khem,

>> Actually we'd like to stay on HEAD and build our own distribution on
>> top of that. Hence I'm more interested in getting ti81xx-psp-2.6.37 to
>> work with gcc-4.7. I'll try Martin Jansa's hint
>> (-mno-unaligned-access) next.
>
> then use the default gcc that angstrom head is using which is 4.7

We switched back to gcc-4.5 by pulling into our layer what meta-oe has
thrown out of their toolchain-layer and fixing up a minor issue with
the binutils GOLD linker. Right now we're using everything from
Angstrom _except_ gcc-4.7. This is because ti81xx-psp-2.6.37 will not
run out of the box when built with this version of gcc.

Using latest Angstrom w/ gcc-4.5 from our own layer is just an
intermediate step. It is necessary so we remain with a working
platform.

> and also be
> ready to experience some bugs as well yes -mno-unaligned-access is
> needed for kernel
> in some cases but eventually I think new kernel should be able to handle them

This is the next step. Now that we are on latest Angstrom (and, w/
gcc-4.5, can build firmware that boots) let's look into that gcc-4.7
issue. If it's really just a missing flag then we should be on 4.7 in
no time. I would remain skeptical, though, since TI's kernel fork for
DaVinci, ti81xx-psp-2.6.37, is very old and lacks of code quality.

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle