[oe] Introducing the HidaV layer

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Fri May 18 21:39:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:09:42AM +0200, Thilo Fromm wrote:
> Hello *.*,
>
> There's a new layer in town. HidaV will provide a common platform
> layer, development support, and firmware for our yet-to-come ti8148
> based systems. The layer poses a symbiosis of a "board support" and a
> "distribution" layer. HidaV integrates meta-ti, meta-openembedded,
> meta-angstrom, and openembedded-core to a well-tailored distribution.
> Although HidaV therefore heavily focuses on our own devices/boards we
> hope to provide useful bug fixes and recipes for other projects/layers
> as well.
>
> The code is here: <https://github.com/DFE/HidaV>
> Some initial documentation: <https://github.com/DFE/HidaV/wiki>
>
> Finally, I would like to add HidaV to the openembedded layer index[1].
> Is there some formality involved in this, or do I just create a wiki
> account and then edit it in?

Just couple questions - wouldn't it be better to send fixes to the underlying
layers that you integrate, instead of holding them in your own integration
layer? And if it's for your unique ti8148-based board, then it's fine, it may
warrant a separate BSP layer for that. But why did you chose to pre-integrate
other layers into yours? Although you seem to be using sub-modules, but it's
still pre-integration, a-la Yocto/Poky releases...

Ah, and BTW, I think your layer ordering and priorities[1] are slightly wrong,
as usually BSP layers reside lower than Software layers (i.e. meta-oe), but
Distro layers (i.e. angstrom) should probably be on top...

--
Denys