[oe] Introducing the HidaV layer

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Mon May 21 07:43:00 UTC 2012

Hello Denys,

>> The code is here: <https://github.com/DFE/HidaV>
>> Some initial documentation: <https://github.com/DFE/HidaV/wiki>
>
> Just couple questions - wouldn't it be better to send fixes to the underlying
> layers that you integrate, instead of holding them in your own integration
> layer?

In my opinion it's best to have both. We certainly plan to integrate
our fixes and extensions with upstream layers and projects; actually,
that's what meta-hidav/recipes-upstream/ is for. Until they're
accepted, however, they will live in our own layer. This way we have
better tracking of changes requested by upstream.

Maintaining our own layer also allows for stunts like providing
continued support for gcc-4.5 with the current Angstrom even though
meta-oe/toolchain-layer deprecated and removed that version of gcc.

> And if it's for your unique ti8148-based board, then it's fine, it may
> warrant a separate BSP layer for that. But why did you chose to pre-integrate
> other layers into yours? Although you seem to be using sub-modules, but it's
> still pre-integration, a-la Yocto/Poky releases...

It is. The point is that HidaV is actually a BSP _and_ a distribution,
but it seems to be too small for now to be split into two separate
layers (hidav-bsp and hidav-dist). I do second your suggestion,
though. So the split might happen at a later point.

> Ah, and BTW, I think your layer ordering and priorities[1] are slightly wrong,
> as usually BSP layers reside lower than Software layers (i.e. meta-oe), but
> Distro layers (i.e. angstrom) should probably be on top...

You're right, it sure looks unusual. It's because of the Dist/BSP mashup.

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle