[oe] [OE-core] experiences with images based on current layer heads

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 4 21:24:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 16:02 +0200, Andreas Müller wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when migration of systemd to oe-core turned to unbuildable I decided
>> to freeze my images and stopped further tests. Now that many issues
>> were fixed and we are close to another release I built my standard
>> xfce-based image based on latest layer HEADs. With this I face some
>> issues which I would like to share:
>>
>> 1. X sessions crash with OOM. This is reproducible by opening
>> google-maps with midori and changing to satellite view. In
>> Xorg.0.log.old I see only
>>
>> | (EE)
>> | (EE) Backtrace:
>> | (EE)
>> | (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x9
>> | (EE) BUG: triggered 'if (inSignalContext)'
>> | (EE) BUG: log.c:502 in LogVMessageVerb()
>> | (EE) Warning: attempting to log data in a signal unsafe manner while
>> in signal context.
>> | Please update to check inSignalContext and/or use
>> LogMessageVerbSigSafe() or ErrorFSigSafe().
>> | The offending log format message is:
>> |
>> | Fatal server error:
>> |
>> | (EE)
>> | (EE) Backtrace:
>> | (EE)
>>
>> With old images only the process causing OOM were stopped. I did not
>> fully cross check but I have the feeling that OOM appears much much
>> more often than with old images. Sometimes x- session is closed
>> without opening an additional application.
>>
>> 2. Something with udisks/gvfs/thunar-volman seems broken. When
>> auto-mounting, the partitions cannot be mounted by label-name. On
>> plugging a memory stick I see in kernel log
>>
>> | VFS: could not find a valid V7 on sda.
>>
>> Same kernel works properly with old images.
>>
>> 3. dhclient.service does not start (this has never worked):
>>
>> root at overo:~# systemctl status dhclient.service
>> dhclient.service - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
>>           Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dhclient.service; enabled)
>>           Active: failed (Result: resources) since Sat 2000-01-01
>> 00:58:02 UTC; 7min ago
>>          Process: 177 ExecStart=/sbin/dhclient -cf
>> /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases
>> $INTERFACES (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>>
>> Jan 01 00:58:01 overo systemd[1]: Starting Dynamic Host Configuration
>> Protocol (DHCP)...
>> Jan 01 00:58:02 overo systemd[1]: PID file /var/run/dhclient.pid not
>> readable (yet?) after start.
>>
>> I wonder what happens to networkmanager once this autostart will work...

>> will test further...

Update on this one: I am updating networkmanager(-applet) to latest
stable version. During tests I found same behaviour for
NetworkManager-wait-online.service. Investigations showed that both
NetworkManager-wait-online.service and dhclient.service fail in case
no network cable is connected during startup. Will investigate
further...

Andreas