[oe] [meta-oe] vim 7.3

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Thu Apr 18 09:51:21 UTC 2013

I've now got a recipe for vim-7.3.905 that's been tested on my
Raspberry Pi but I have a few questions before I submit a patch:

1) vim has new patch releases very often so if I stick with a fixed
version we'll fall behind quickly. However the default branch might
become vim-7.4 at some point in the future but I'm not sure we want to
move to that automatically. There isn't even a vim-7.4 development
branch in the upstream repository so that may be a long while away. Do
you have any advice on whether I should specify a fixed version or use
AUTOREV? It could also be possible to include both a vim_7.3.905.bb
file and a vim_hg.bb file.

2) Am I right changing SRC_URI in vim.inc to the mercurial URL and
just keep SRCREV in the .bb file?

3) There's a vimrc file kept along with the recipe for vim, I can't
see much useful in the git history of this file. There's also a
vimrc_example.vim file in the runtime files distributed with vim that
will keep up-to-date with any changes to syntax or features, should we
move to using this?

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker