[oe] [meta-oe] vim 7.3

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 10:53:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:51:21AM +0100, Paul Barker wrote:
> I've now got a recipe for vim-7.3.905 that's been tested on my
> Raspberry Pi but I have a few questions before I submit a patch:
>
> 1) vim has new patch releases very often so if I stick with a fixed
> version we'll fall behind quickly. However the default branch might
> become vim-7.4 at some point in the future but I'm not sure we want to
> move to that automatically. There isn't even a vim-7.4 development
> branch in the upstream repository so that may be a long while away. Do
> you have any advice on whether I should specify a fixed version or use
> AUTOREV? It could also be possible to include both a vim_7.3.905.bb
> file and a vim_hg.bb file.

No AUTOREV in meta-oe, but it's fine to add both
vim_7.3.905.bb and vim_hg.bb if hg versions have negative
DEFAULT_PREFERENCE and SRCREV that you can confirm is working (you can change
it to AUTOREV later in your local.conf if you want).

> 2) Am I right changing SRC_URI in vim.inc to the mercurial URL and
> just keep SRCREV in the .bb file?

sounds correct

> 3) There's a vimrc file kept along with the recipe for vim, I can't
> see much useful in the git history of this file. There's also a
> vimrc_example.vim file in the runtime files distributed with vim that
> will keep up-to-date with any changes to syntax or features, should we
> move to using this?

You mean to use vimrc_example.vim from vim archive instead of our local
vimrc copy? Sounds good too.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com