[oe] opkg: How to make package signal reboot required?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Aug 1 08:44:50 UTC 2013

Hi Bryan,

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 21:28:50 Bryan Evenson wrote:
> I have a package that I created for my setup which, when upgraded, will
> require a system reboot.  Is there a general flag/setting that already
> exists to put in my Bitbake recipe to signal that the package requires a
> reboot?  If so, does it just set a flag that a reboot is required or does
> it force a reboot?

It would be worth checking to see if the package manager has any intrinsic
support for this kind of thing; FWIW I don't know that the ones that we use do
(at least, we have no out-of-the-box integration for such functionality - I
know some package managers have "delay until end" functionality for things
like ldconfig and man page indexes, but we don't currently support this as far
as I know).

One approach (untested) that could work now however would be to define a
postinstall script for the package that would start another script in the
background or via cron; the latter script would then wait until the package
manager finished and then do whatever was necessary to restart the machine.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton