[oe] Piglit in Poky

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Dec 23 18:01:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

We'd like to integrate Piglit (an OpenGL test suite) into Poky so that
we can run automated QA on the GL stack.  Piglit is currently residing
in meta-oe, but as Poky is a self-contained project we can't just add
meta-oe to it:  apart from the size of meta-oe, we can't ensure
stability if meta-oe makes incompatible changes that affect Poky.

Piglit isn't a stand-alone package, there are the dependencies of
waffle, python-mako and python-numpy to consider too.  There are two
possibilities I can see:

1) Move piglit and deps to oe-core.  Piglit is for QA purposes only
and pushes the boundaries of "core platform".  In a sense this is a
repeat of the discussion we had with Midori...  does oe-core contain
everything needed to sufficiently exercise the core components it
ships or not?

2) Add piglit and deps to meta-yocto.  Probably a new layer called
meta-yocto-qa (or similar) because the Yocto Compatible guidelines
forbid mixing distribution policy and recipes.  We'd need to sync
meta-yocto-qa with the pieces of meta-oe that we want somehow, but
that's our problem.

Thoughts and opinions welcome over Christmas, otherwise I'll toss a coin. :)

Ross