[oe] [OE-core] Piglit in Poky

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Tue Dec 24 01:09:30 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 01:01 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We'd like to integrate Piglit (an OpenGL test suite) into Poky so that
> we can run automated QA on the GL stack.  Piglit is currently residing
> in meta-oe, but as Poky is a self-contained project we can't just add
> meta-oe to it:  apart from the size of meta-oe, we can't ensure
> stability if meta-oe makes incompatible changes that affect Poky.
>
> Piglit isn't a stand-alone package, there are the dependencies of
> waffle, python-mako and python-numpy to consider too.  There are two
> possibilities I can see:
>
> 1) Move piglit and deps to oe-core.  Piglit is for QA purposes only
> and pushes the boundaries of "core platform".  In a sense this is a
> repeat of the discussion we had with Midori...  does oe-core contain
> everything needed to sufficiently exercise the core components it
> ships or not?

I expect Richard will push back on this, and I would support him here.

> 2) Add piglit and deps to meta-yocto.  Probably a new layer called
> meta-yocto-qa (or similar) because the Yocto Compatible guidelines
> forbid mixing distribution policy and recipes.  We'd need to sync
> meta-yocto-qa with the pieces of meta-oe that we want somehow, but
> that's our problem.

So meta-yocto is right out. I'm a user of numpy, and I certainly do not
want to include something called meta-yocto-qa just to pick up numpy.

So this presents a quandry. Moving numpy to a special layer to support a
specific recipe is just not the right thing to do. Conceivably, we could
create a layer for the bits of meta-oe that are python related, but I am
not sure that solves your entire problem.

I certainly do not want to see one recipe appear in two layers. That is
a recipe for trouble.

Long term, we need to make the layer model work for the entire project
and get over the reluctance to use other peoples layers.

Philip