[oe] [OE-core] Add lua to oe-core.

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Jul 26 14:11:17 UTC 2013

On Thursday 25 July 2013 22:27:43 Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 03:57:58PM -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
> > I've found that many projects use the lua scripting language.
> > I'd like to move it from meta-oe to oe-core:
> >
> > http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recip
> > es-devtools/lua/lua5.1_5.1.5.bb?h=master
> >
> > http://www.lua.org/about.html
> >
> > lua-5.2.2 is current, see: http://www.lua.org/download.html
> > so we'd likely uprev and send that version.
> >
> > rpm and lighttpd could (would?) optionally depend on lua.
> >
> > oe-core.git $ grep -r lua * | egrep -v 'valuat|valuable|uargp|rpm'
> >
> > meta/recipes-extended/lighttpd/lighttpd_1.4.32.bb:
> >               --without-lua \
> >
> > Any comments pro or con before we do the uprev, testing and send
> > a commit?
>
> 2 recipes which would optionally depend on it doesn't make it good
> "core" component IMHO.
>
> But uprev, few PACKAGECONFIGs and more testing would be nice.

I concur with Martin, if we're only talking about optional dependencies this
should just be a case of adding the PACKAGECONFIG options to the recipes in
OE-Core (or whereever they happen to be), with lua remaining in meta-oe.

However I am aware that lua may be a hard dependency for upcoming versions of
stuff we do have in OE-Core (I can't recall which). We'll have to cross that
bridge when we come to it.

Cheers,
Paul

--