[oe] [OE-core] Add lua to oe-core.

Randy MacLeod randy.macleod at windriver.com
Fri Jul 26 16:08:15 UTC 2013

On 13-07-26 10:11 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Thursday 25 July 2013 22:27:43 Martin Jansa wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 03:57:58PM -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
>>> I've found that many projects use the lua scripting language.
>>> I'd like to move it from meta-oe to oe-core:
>>>
>>> http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recip
>>> es-devtools/lua/lua5.1_5.1.5.bb?h=master
>>>
>>> http://www.lua.org/about.html
>>>
>>> lua-5.2.2 is current, see: http://www.lua.org/download.html
>>> so we'd likely uprev and send that version.
>>>
>>> rpm and lighttpd could (would?) optionally depend on lua.
>>>
>>> oe-core.git $ grep -r lua * | egrep -v 'valuat|valuable|uargp|rpm'
>>>
>>> meta/recipes-extended/lighttpd/lighttpd_1.4.32.bb:
>>>                --without-lua \
>>>
>>> Any comments pro or con before we do the uprev, testing and send
>>> a commit?
>>
>> 2 recipes which would optionally depend on it doesn't make it good
>> "core" component IMHO.
>>
>> But uprev, few PACKAGECONFIGs and more testing would be nice.
>
> I concur with Martin, if we're only talking about optional dependencies this
> should just be a case of adding the PACKAGECONFIG options to the recipes in
> OE-Core (or whereever they happen to be), with lua remaining in meta-oe.

I understand your reluctance to add bloat to oe-core but from a
users point of view a base distro should have a reasonable
collection of tools. I'll add lua to our internal layer since
we don't support all of meta-oe. We'll uprev and send meta-oe the
new recipe.

> However I am aware that lua may be a hard dependency for upcoming versions of
> stuff we do have in OE-Core (I can't recall which). We'll have to cross that
> bridge when we come to it.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

// Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod. SMTS, Linux, Wind River
Direct: 613.963.1350