[oe] [OE-core] State of bitbake world

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 20 10:16:37 UTC 2013

On Thursday 20 June 2013 10:39:13 Paul Barker wrote:
> >> mplayer2 is failing to find <mad.h>, this needs the same sort of fix I
> >> made to vlc
> >> (http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/commit/?id=3d6369b7c39d78
> >> b0d424dbe5a97e736b694e3c48).
> >>
> >> Full logs, conf files, etc:
> >> http://www.paulbarker.me.uk/yocto/20130617_poky/>
> > I think missing dependencies. Best is to turn this into PACKAGECONFIG
>
> The dependencies are enabled if ENTERPRISE_DISTRO=0 but I'm building
> with it set to 1. However mplayer2 is still looking for them, much
> like vlc did.
>
> I could remove the ENTERPRISE_DISTRO logic and replace it all with
> PACKAGECONFIG options but it would lead to a "Nothing PROVIDES" error
> if a PACKAGECONFIG option was set for a dependency which isn't built
> when ENTERPRISE_DISTRO=1. The error message doesn't even mention
> ENTERPRISE_DISTRO so it may be confusing for a user.

To be honest I think ENTERPRISE_DISTRO needs to go. It's not even clear what
it should mean, and it's not consistently implemented. For things we want to
be optional we have PACKAGECONFIG; for items that have licensing requirements
that might be troublesome in certain deployments we have LICENSE_FLAGS, and
LICENSE_FLAGS. I would suggest ENTERPRISE_DISTRO be phased out in favour of
usage of one or both of those two depending on the situation.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton