[oe] Regarding layers and their versioning.

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 21 09:01:07 UTC 2013

On Monday 21 October 2013 09:29:27 Anders Darander wrote:
> "Søren Holm" <sgh at sgh.dk> wrote:
> >What is the best way to manage a private repo with recipes as well as
> >meta-oe,
> >meta-core and meta-angstrom.
> >
> >Currently I have a private repo that has the layers attached as
> >submodules. Is that a crazy setup or what?
>
> We're doing the same internally at ChargeStorm. One benefit is that we're
> having our "master" repo keeping track of all the layers that we're using
> and which revision of those layers.
>
> Other people / projects just use a shell script checking out the desired
> layers. Some people combines layers into one huge repo (though I'd
> personally not recommend that approach). (That'd be similar to how Poky is
> being managed).
>
> Yet other people / projects use repo.
>
> It's up to what you're comfortable with in the end.

Just to clarify, we use the combo-layer script (scripts/combo-layer) to manage
the Poky repository. It can combine multiple repositories or even parts of
repositories into one and keep it up-to-date. It works well for our purposes,
i.e. providing a single repository that people can download containing all of
the needed basic components. However, it's just one of a number of different
solutions in this area and you'd have to evaluate which tool works best for
your situation.

Cheers,
Paul

--