[oe] Regarding layers and their versioning.

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Oct 21 14:17:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Monday 21 October 2013 09:29:27 Anders Darander wrote:
>> "Søren Holm" <sgh at sgh.dk> wrote:
>> >What is the best way to manage a private repo with recipes as well as
>> >meta-oe,
>> >meta-core and meta-angstrom.
>> >
>> >Currently I have a private repo that has the layers attached as
>> >submodules. Is that a crazy setup or what?
>>
>> We're doing the same internally at ChargeStorm. One benefit is that we're
>> having our "master" repo keeping track of all the layers that we're using
>> and which revision of those layers.
>>
>> Other people / projects just use a shell script checking out the desired
>> layers. Some people combines layers into one huge repo (though I'd
>> personally not recommend that approach). (That'd be similar to how Poky is
>> being managed).
>>
>> Yet other people / projects use repo.
>>
>> It's up to what you're comfortable with in the end.
>
> Just to clarify, we use the combo-layer script (scripts/combo-layer) to manage
> the Poky repository. It can combine multiple repositories or even parts of
> repositories into one and keep it up-to-date. It works well for our purposes,
> i.e. providing a single repository that people can download containing all of
> the needed basic components. However, it's just one of a number of different
> solutions in this area and you'd have to evaluate which tool works best for
> your situation.

At O.S. Systems we used some variants here.

We started with forking and moved to combo-layer script. The
combo-layer works for most case but it fails badly with empty merge
commits and like. So it works quite fine for Yocto use case but not as
fine for company workflow.

In the end we choose 'repo' and we provide some 'platform' for
customers where we link all need projects in a single .xml file; this
scales fine and is quite easy to use.