[oe] [meta-qt5] why does Qt5 build with ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET = "arm"

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Mon Feb 17 21:27:51 UTC 2014

hi,

does anybody know why in Qt5/qtbase.inc, we have:

ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET = "arm"

Could it be an a low hanging fruit from the past? e.g. before
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-16402 or
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commit/a3bd9d4c0f3d9e80dbe35bd88649b245dca5f410?

as a matter of fact, for our project Qt5 (and QtWebkit) are building
(and working fine) when built with Thumb2, outside of OE. Also using
ARM instruction set instead of Thumb2 enforces Webkit to use the ARM
version of the javascript JIT, while the Thumb2 JIT engine seems to
work a lot better in our testing...

cheers

nico