[oe] [meta-qt5] why does Qt5 build with ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET = "arm"

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Mon Feb 17 21:46:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 02:27:51PM -0700, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> hi,
>
> does anybody know why in Qt5/qtbase.inc, we have:
>
> ARM_INSTRUCTION_SET = "arm"
>
> Could it be an a low hanging fruit from the past? e.g. before
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-16402 or
> https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commit/a3bd9d4c0f3d9e80dbe35bd88649b245dca5f410?

Hmm, I would assume that's here from 4.8 days, although I haven't tried
dropping that line for latest Qt5... Would make sense to do some more testing.

> as a matter of fact, for our project Qt5 (and QtWebkit) are building
> (and working fine) when built with Thumb2, outside of OE. Also using
> ARM instruction set instead of Thumb2 enforces Webkit to use the ARM
> version of the javascript JIT, while the Thumb2 JIT engine seems to
> work a lot better in our testing...

Seems like worth the effort to re-test the need for that setting. Unless
someone else has tried it already and found out the issue is still there

--
Denys