[oe] defining FEATURE_PACKAGES_* in core-image.bbclass vs image.bbclass

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 14 23:22:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Rudolf Streif wrote:

> >   then i noticed that the "splash" feature is defined, not in
> > core-image.bbclass, but in the more basic image.bbclass, as is
> > package-management:
> >
> > FEATURE_PACKAGES_package-management = "${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE}"
> > SPLASH ?= "psplash"
> > FEATURE_PACKAGES_splash = "${SPLASH}"
> >
> > And then there is debug-tweaks for which the hooks are defined in
> image.bbclass including the function zap_empty_root_password but the
> post-processing is added to the variable by core-image.bbclass:
>
> core-image.bbclass: ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND +=
> '${@bb.utils.contains("IMAGE_FEATURES", "debug-tweaks", "",
> "zap_empty_root_password ; ",d)}'
>
> Since image.bbclass also adds the debug-tweaks to the valid image
> feature list
>
> image.bbclass:IMAGE_FEATURES[validitems] += "debug-tweaks read-only-rootfs"
>
> my inclination would be to move the addition to ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND
> from core-image.bbclass to image.bbclass.
>
> The image feature readonly-rootfs is also added to the valid list by
> image.bbclass.

  i didn't notice the rest of these as i stopped looking after the
splash example and thought i'd ask about it.

> Consequently this makes the image features splash, debug-tweaks,
> package-management, splash and readonly-rootfs available to image
> recipes that inherit image.bbclass while h/w codecs and others are
> added by core-image.bbclass and are only available when an image
> recipe inherits core-image.

  is there something special about hwcodecs that suggests it should
stay in core-image rather than moving to image as well? i'm just
trying to understand the rationale.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca