[oe] ntpd fails to start if libcap not installed

Diego diego.ml at zoho.com
Fri Mar 28 18:04:50 UTC 2014

In data venerdì 28 marzo 2014 10:55:28, Philip Balister ha scritto:
> On 03/28/2014 06:40 AM, Diego wrote:
> > Hi openembedders!
> >
> > I've noticed that if ntp is built without libcap, ntpd fails to start from
> > the initscript:
> > /etc/init.d/ntpd
> >
> > giving the error:
> > Starting ntpd: /usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has been disabled --
> > built without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
> > ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.6p5
> >
> > That is caused by the line:
> > start-stop-daemon --start -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -u ntp:ntp -p
> > /var/run/ntp.pid "$@"
> >
> > and in particular by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported which
> > is not supported if ntp is build without --enable-clockctl.
> >
> > Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
>
> Oddly enough, I was about to report the symptom today also :)
>
> Any ntp experts know what the proper solution is? I'd be glad to propose
> a patch.

Hi Philip,

I'd like to rephrase better my statement, as I put two errors in it:
The problem is caused by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported if ntp
is build without "--enable-linuxcaps".

As far as the manual goes, the "--enable-clockctl" is a build option for
NetBSD:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html

Removing the "-u ntp:ntp" makes the initscript work, but I don't know if
shipping different ntpd initscripts based on pkgconfig is the correct thing to
do. Any expert opinion?

Bests,
Diego