[oe] ntpd fails to start if libcap not installed

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 00:07:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Diego <diego.ml at zoho.com> wrote:
> In data venerdì 28 marzo 2014 10:55:28, Philip Balister ha scritto:
>> On 03/28/2014 06:40 AM, Diego wrote:
>> > Hi openembedders!
>> >
>> > I've noticed that if ntp is built without libcap, ntpd fails to start from
>> > the initscript:
>> > /etc/init.d/ntpd
>> >
>> > giving the error:
>> > Starting ntpd: /usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has been disabled --
>> > built without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
>> > ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.6p5
>> >
>> > That is caused by the line:
>> > start-stop-daemon --start -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -u ntp:ntp -p
>> > /var/run/ntp.pid "$@"
>> >
>> > and in particular by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported which
>> > is not supported if ntp is build without --enable-clockctl.
>> >
>> > Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
>>
>> Oddly enough, I was about to report the symptom today also :)
>>
>> Any ntp experts know what the proper solution is? I'd be glad to propose
>> a patch.
>>

> Hi Philip,
>
> I'd like to rephrase better my statement, as I put two errors in it:
> The problem is caused by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported if ntp
> is build without "--enable-linuxcaps".
>
> As far as the manual goes, the "--enable-clockctl" is a build option for
> NetBSD:
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html
>
> Removing the "-u ntp:ntp" makes the initscript work, but I don't know if
> shipping different ntpd initscripts based on pkgconfig is the correct thing to
> do. Any expert opinion?

remove the cap PKGCONFIG its redundant and everything in recipe wants
it enabled, it was  added just for having consistent builds otherwise
it was autodetected by autotools and if you had libpcap staged then it
was enabled automatically otherwisie not.

so you can either change PACKAGECONFIG ??= "" to PACKAGECONFIG_append = " cap"

or remove this completely and add the dependencies on libcap unconditionally.