[oe] Website Text

Jack Mitchell martin.jansa at gmail.com
Sat May 3 09:15:04 UTC 2014

Good Morning All,

First off, I hope a lot of you are having fun at OEDAM, I wish I could
have been there but while my company will pay for entrance and ticket
fees, they won't pay for the expensive part, travel and hotels.

I have seen on the OEDAM wiki page that the wiki/website is on the
agenda so I thought it would be a good time to send out an update on my
involvement. It's been a slow 6 months since I volunteered to help out
with the project and while a lot has gotten done, it's not quite as much
as I hoped. However, that aside I think now would be a good time to try
and get some collaboration on the website text while you're all in a
room together.

The current website address is http://frontpage.openembedded.org/

All the text probably needs some work, most of it is copied from the
current OE site with some slight tweaks but I was concentrating on
design at the time. So, I will list all sub categories of text below
along with my concerns and anybody else can chime in with their thoughts
and views. If you want to re-write a portion for review as it's
completely wrong, please do, I'm not going to be offended.

* Header Text

	- Can we still claim to be best-in-class as a cross compilation
environment? It seems a touch... arrogant IMO, thoughts?

* Support/Advantages/Available Recipes

	- General input; can you think of any better subheadings or things we
should be advertising?

* OpenEmbedded and The Yocto Project

	- This needs a complete re-write, what I am envisioning here is a quick
explanation of how OE and YP are related to clear up initial confusion
about OE being superseded etc...

* Recent News

	- There is talk about integrating an auto updating feed here with git
commits/new recipes from the layer index. This will come last when me
and Paul have had chance to discuss what changes need to be made to the
Layer Index to make this possible.

When these points are hashed out, then I will create the
Community/FAQ/Download and Documentation pages and we can discuss these
on list again.

Slightly off topic, I am having trouble with pushing to the oe-website
git repo, if anyone at the meeting can help with this then please drop
me an email. Philip, you were CC'ed in on the problem that I sent to
ka6sox with the error if someone wants to know the details.

I will try and be about on IRC today if anyone needs me, I'll be in and
out of the house and the timezone differences will obviously cause some
issue, but just ping me if you want to know anything.

Cheers all,
Jack.