[oe] initramfs only supported in x86?

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Thu May 15 20:33:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I thought I'd compare the performance of booting
> rootfs from MMC vs ramdisk (the way Android is doing it). Some says it
> may possibly take longer in ramdisk because the rootfs has to be first
> loaded into memory. I'd like to test it out myself.
>
> So I discovered core-image-minimal-initramfs, and thought it was
> exactly what I needed. However the build doesn't go far, because its
> dependency initramfs-live-install [1] only seems to support x86:
>
> COMPATIBLE_HOST = "(i.86|x86_64).*-linux"
>
> Is this the limitation of current OE? or am I just looking at the wrong corner?

i recently had to build an initrd too, and notice that as well... so i
am not sure exactly what that means. I am glad you asked... however if
you want to test an initrd, you can simply build *any* image and make
sure to build the 'cpio' from IMAGE_FSTYPES. you can then use the
generated cpio archive as an initrd.