[oe] how to create a new layer

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu May 22 07:10:00 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 21 May 2014 13:58:07 Richard Cagley wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org>
> wrote:
> > On 05/21/2014 04:05 PM, Richard Cagley wrote:
> >> 2.) Do I need to change the machine name? If so, how to I inherit
> >> zedboard-zynq7?
> >
> > Make a conf/machine/me.conf.
> >
> > You can use one of the zynq machines as a starting point.
> >
> > You'll need a conf/layer.conf also.
>
> 1.) copied meta-xilinx/conf/machine/zedboard-zynq7.conf to
> meta-me/conf/machine/me.conf
> 2.) changed MACHINE in my build/conf/local.conf to "me"
> 3.) copied meta-xilinx/conf/layer.conf to meta-me/conf/layer.conf
>
> Now:
> 1.) in layer.conf should I change "xilinx" to "me"?

Yes

> 2.) What about the new machine file me.conf? Do I need to edit it or
> by not editing it does it just inherit everything from the other meta
> layer?

Since you copied an existing configuration file, all that was in it
previously will still apply. You can change it if you want some values to
be different, of course (I would assume that you would want to edit
it since there wouldn't be much point in going through this exercise if you
didn't.)

One other thing to note - if there are overrides for the previous machine
(e.g. in bbappends you may see _zedboard-zynq7) you should change
these to _me so that they still apply.

You may also find this useful:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#understanding-and-creating-layers

Cheers