[oe] php: museum.php.net is broken - change recipe SRC_URI?

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Nov 3 14:03:42 UTC 2014

The official PHP archival version download site, http://museum.php.net, has been down at least since the beginning of October.  This is a problem for daisy and older branches if a build attempts to fetch PHP.  I expect this site will be back up again sometime, but from reading the conversation on the related PHP bug report (https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=68130) I do not believe http://museum.php.net can be viewed to be a reliable archive in the future.  I see that dizzy changed the SRC_URI to use http://www.php.net/distributions for the main download.  I did some testing and it appears that PHP versions that are about a year old or less are available from http://www.php.net/distributions.  So we can assume that a year from now the dizzy branch SRC_URI will need to change to something else.

I'd propose changing the SRC_URI to something that will not change over time.  My suggestion would be the PHP distributions Git repository located here: http://git.php.net/?p=web/php-distributions.git;a=summary.  This is the path suggested in the related PHP bug mentioned earlier.  The disadvantage is that the SRC_URI would refer to a file on a specific tag, so the SRC_URI would be specific for each PHP version.

Any further suggestions on how to handle this?  If the SRC_URI does get updated, how many branches back should the change be made?

Regards,
Bryan