[oe] [meta-java] Trying to update openjdk-7 to icedtea 2.5.4 and jdk75b13

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed Apr 1 15:25:59 UTC 2015

Hello Sven,

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Sven Ebenfeld <sven.ebenfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently trying to update openjdk-7 to the current icedtea-release.
> I'm getting as far as to the compile step which fails during a run of rmic.
> In difference to earlier builds, it tries to run the just compiled
> rmic java-classes.

Thanks a lot for doing this, this is indeed an important change to be
done ... also due security reasons.

> The bootstrap jdk6 complains about incompatible class version.
> "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> sun/rmi/rmic/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0"
>
> That is correct as the build process compiles these classes with
> "-source 7" and "-target 7".
> Currently I don't really know how to fix this problem. Atm I guess I
> would need to add a jdk6 bootstrap version of rmic. Can anyone give me
> a hint how to fix this problem?

Yes, you likely needs a rmic-native variant.

I am very busy now and won't have bandwidth to help on this, am sorry.

One side note though ... you might want, before, clean old versions of
the recipe and rework it so in the process you gain more intimacy of
the build process ... and helps to provide a nicer base of work as
well.