[oe] [meta-oe] inconsistency between autotests and ssh support

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:34:44 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am experimenting with tools-profile and qemux86 and qemuarm. Autotest
failures make me think there is an inconsistency in the recipes and
possibly also somewhere in the docs.

I was under the impression (from docs?) that core-image-base would add ssh
support so I switched from core-image-minimal. Whether I was looking in the
wrong version of docs or not, the failure of the autotests makes me think there
is a problem. Examining the ssh log listed in the test output I can see multiple
"connection refused on port 22" messages" and there is clearly no ssh server
in the image. The test output shows that some tests are indeed skipped because
the system knows ssh is not present. But multiple other tests are not skipped.

Same experience on both qemuarm and qemux86.

After greping to find ssh-server in a .bb file I switched again to
core-image-full-cmdline and am now able to ssh in. I still get an error relating
to something else, but ssh works fine.

With fido version:

meta              = "fido:6546771a502a09c63e33679be8784818be0ef93b"

The main changes I have made are to local.conf where I have:

MACHINE ??= "qemuarm"
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "dbg-pkgs tools-profile tools-debug debug-tweaks"
TEST_IMAGE = "1"
#
# Enable build history
#