[oe] [meta-oe] inconsistency between autotests and ssh support

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 18 12:39:15 UTC 2015

Hi Amit,

On Tuesday 18 August 2015 09:34:44 Amit Chaudhuri wrote:
> I am experimenting with tools-profile and qemux86 and qemuarm. Autotest
> failures make me think there is an inconsistency in the recipes and
> possibly also somewhere in the docs.
>
> I was under the impression (from docs?) that core-image-base would add ssh
> support so I switched from core-image-minimal. Whether I was looking in the
> wrong version of docs or not, the failure of the autotests makes me think
> there is a problem. Examining the ssh log listed in the test output I can
> see multiple "connection refused on port 22" messages" and there is clearly
> no ssh server in the image. The test output shows that some tests are
> indeed skipped because the system knows ssh is not present. But multiple
> other tests are not skipped.
>
> Same experience on both qemuarm and qemux86.
>
> After greping to find ssh-server in a .bb file I switched again to
> core-image-full-cmdline and am now able to ssh in. I still get an error
> relating to something else, but ssh works fine.
>
> With fido version:
>
> meta              = "fido:6546771a502a09c63e33679be8784818be0ef93b"
>
> The main changes I have made are to local.conf where I have:
>
> MACHINE ??= "qemuarm"
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "dbg-pkgs tools-profile tools-debug debug-tweaks"

Since you're already setting EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES, just add
"ssh-server-dropbear" or "ssh-server-openssh" to its value and you'll have SSH
server support no matter which image you build.

I'm not sure where we'd have documented that core-image-base has an SSH server
- at least I can't find such a reference.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton