[oe] meta-java - recent commits break foreign (MY!) builds ...

Jens Rehsack rehsack at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 16:48:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

recent commits (24b98ac3, 15ed9662) on meta-java broke my build, so I reverted them for my fork and decided to report:

15ed9662

This one is easy - and very likely similar easy to fix for patch author:

The layer-readme tells users:

Usage instructions
------------------

You should define at least the following variables in a distro include file or local.conf

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial-native = "cacao-initial-native"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "jamvm-native"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "ecj-bootstrap-native"

With 15ed9662, jamvm requires ecj-bootstrap-native and ecj-bootstrap-native requires virtual/java-native which shall be jamvm-native.
Since I trust in you have a running version, there is very likely a way out by a nice and proper PREFERRED_PROVIDER_* setup making 15ed9662 succeed.

24b98ac3

This is more complicated. I announced that in a small round already - and without this
commit I would hold back until I finished openjdk-8 cross-compiling and running on our
i.MX6 box with Framebuffer-XBMC and Java-Service for Smart-Home control.

See https://github.com/rehsack/meta-java/commits/master for an icedtea7-native and an
openjdk-8-native without any alsa or x11 dependency, compiling smoothly alongside a
gpu-viv-bin-mx6q (with a tiny patch removing hidden x11 dependency).

There is no serious need for x11 the dependency chain down from icedtea7-native.

Maybe the requirement as added was intended for target packages only, but hit accidentally
some native packages either.

Cheers
Jens Rehsack - rehsack at gmail.com