[oe] meta-java - recent commits break foreign (MY!) builds ...

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Thu Aug 27 13:28:15 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Jens Rehsack <rehsack at gmail.com> wrote:
\> recent commits (24b98ac3, 15ed9662) on meta-java broke my build, so
I reverted them for my fork and decided to report:

> 15ed9662
>
> This one is easy - and very likely similar easy to fix for patch author:
>
> The layer-readme tells users:
>
> Usage instructions
> ------------------
>
> You should define at least the following variables in a distro include file or local.conf
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial-native = "cacao-initial-native"
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "jamvm-native"
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "ecj-bootstrap-native"
>
> With 15ed9662, jamvm requires ecj-bootstrap-native and ecj-bootstrap-native requires virtual/java-native which shall be jamvm-native.
> Since I trust in you have a running version, there is very likely a way out by a nice and proper PREFERRED_PROVIDER_* setup making 15ed9662 succeed.

I ended reverting this one.

Can you help us to find a proper fix for this? We ended breaking this
as we were enabling the use of Oracle Java as builder and OpenJDK
ended broken.

> 24b98ac3
>
> This is more complicated. I announced that in a small round already - and without this
> commit I would hold back until I finished openjdk-8 cross-compiling and running on our
> i.MX6 box with Framebuffer-XBMC and Java-Service for Smart-Home control.

Yes, we need to fix it and to be honest I personally would kill
openjdk 7 once 8 is ready.

> See https://github.com/rehsack/meta-java/commits/master for an icedtea7-native and an
> openjdk-8-native without any alsa or x11 dependency, compiling smoothly alongside a
> gpu-viv-bin-mx6q (with a tiny patch removing hidden x11 dependency).

Can you prepare a patch for fsl-arm? we can review and fix it fast :)

> There is no serious need for x11 the dependency chain down from icedtea7-native.
>
> Maybe the requirement as added was intended for target packages only, but hit accidentally
> some native packages either.

You are right; we need _class-target on those. Can you fix it or want
me to cook a patch?