[oe] mplayer2 : focus deficiency?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 13:10:57 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 11:02:30AM +0000, Belal, Awais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The version of mplayer2 available in meta-oe is almost 2.5 years old while there seems to be active development around it. Is there a reason OE never moved to a newer version?
>
> The mplayer team officially releases tarballs from its website https://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html while they also provide svn access through svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk. I believe it would be a good idea to move to one of these sources (I would prefer tar downloads myself) and use a newer more robust (probably) version of mplayer2.

That's what was used in mplayer.bb (without 2 in oe-classic days),
mplayer2 was more active and better alternative at that time so only
mplayer2 was migrated from oe-classic.

> I will be working on a new recipe to cater this if there are no objections but I would really like to have some feedback before I do so.

If mplayer(1) is alive again, then I would accept patch replacing
mplayer2 or you can restore it as mplayer.bb and keep both alternatives.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com