[oe] [meta-oe] [jethro] Additional version supported in stable branch

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:09:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 03:22:47AM +0000, Chang, Rebecca Swee Fun wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> I would like to collect inputs from all of you whether is it possible to have 2 versions of libvpx supported in Jethro branch.
>
> I have recently submitted libvpx v1.5 upgrade to master branch. I do understand that stable branch is mainly used for security updates/fixes.
> So this is why I'm proposing to support 2 versions instead of upgrading in Jethro.
>
> The reason behind is, we are enabling video decode/encode feature to customers but our target BSP components are still based on Jethro.

Then backport the newer version on your layer.

> Please let me know your concern whether this is feasible. Thank you very much.

We also backport newer versions for various components, we even have
separate layers for backports from various Yocto releases (so that whole
layer can be dropped when upgrading to newer release without functional
changes in backported recipes).

Doing it in upstream layers would cause unnecessary changes to everybody
else.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com