[oe] [meta-java] openjre-8 arm JIT jvm

Henning Heinold henning at itconsulting-heinold.de
Tue Nov 8 08:26:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 08:55:47PM -0600, Dean wrote:
> Does anyone have this working? The default recipe for ARM architecture only
> builds a zero jvm that runs in interpreted mode. Naturally this is very slow
> on a slowish ARM processor. I have an application that makes heavy use of
> Java and need to upgrade from OpenJDK 7 to 8 as we are having some trouble
> with PKCS11/JCE in OpenJDK 7.
>
> I did see that Jens had committed OpenJRE-8 with an option to enable shark
> and JIT via LLVM but when asked Jens indicated it was abandoned. I got it
> building but it crashes on startup.
>
> Anyone else doing this and have any leads, pointers, or recipes for OpenJDK
> 8?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dean

Hi Dean,

the arm32 byte interpreter and jit is developed here http://openjdk.java.net/projects/aarch32-port/ and
fornatly orcale has openend up there closes source arm32 jit too. With thoughts to include it for
java/openjdk 9. So to get fast arm32 java no you need to checkout the mercurial repository from there and
modify the existing recipes.

Bye Henning