[oe] Alpha release of check-requirement.sh

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Thu Aug 10 15:16:58 UTC 2017

It is in a git repo. The same git repo as my other tool. It's just entangled in a number of other things right now that I need to disentangle. There is 5 years of history in building this in that repo. Also 5 years of seeing what works in precisely the use case this solves: checking the requirements of a developer's computer and making sure the right packages are installed so they can proceed.

The reason it is written in bash, and not python, is because python is not universally available on all distros out of the box. This is why python is listed in the package list for every distro in the setup documentation. Remember this isn't about choose your favourite language, it's about using bootstrapping a build environment.

There is literally nothing you need to do other than download it and run it on the distros most people use.

I wrote it in bash (and related utilities) because bash is always there. And considering ready-for.sh (what check-requirements.sh is based on) has successfully been run (minimally) thousands of times successfully (probably a lot higher since it is also used for the LF MOOC) I stand by this decision.

And again this is not intended to be an OE or YP only thing. Again this is being maintained alongside an existing tool and shares more than 90% of the code with ready-for.sh. Moving or rewriting it in $LANGUAGE means essentially forking it.

Behan

Sent from my Mobile Computer which is also a phone